Gayle Noakes - Gayle Noakes Supervisor Success
Jul 25, 2019
66%* of manufacturing companies are highly concerned about one of these worker issues:
- Attracting qualified workers
- Retaining qualified workers
- Developing future leaders
Over the 20 years I have worked in manufacturing companies, I have seen the benefits of retaining qualified workers. They already know the company and the products. They are loyal and want themselves and the company to succeed.
To succeed, we need to start with the Supervisors and Leads. To help them effectively build their skills and develop into leaders for the long term, we need to effectively incorporate six items:
- Learning – use Adult Learning Principles and consistently apply what is learned on the job
- Coaching Environment – coach the Supervisors and Leads to incorporate the skills they learn into their day-to-day leadership activities
- Sponsor – a Champion for the long term
- Metrics – what they are measured on needs to match what they are expected to do
- Succession – Supervisors, in turn, develop others and continue to develop themselves
- Operationalize the Process – document and reinforce the successful process to sustain it over time
I call this the Supervisor Success Model.
If you are eager to reduce your concerns regarding retaining your qualified workers and developing the future leaders in your company, contact email@example.com to learn more about the Supervisor Success Model and how it can work in your organization.
*Source: Enterprise MN 2019 State of Manufacturing Survey